Formatting and Structure

Man it's been a busy day! Errands, phone calls, catching up with friends and working on the appearance of this blog. But I think I can relax now...the sidebar on the left is now organized for content additions and it's no longer jumbled together, which means it will be much easier to scan for information. I think I spent about six hours total working on the sidebar today, and it struck me that doing so was kind of a metaphor for life.

To be successful at anything, we need formatting and structure. We need our calendars or personal assistants or alarm clocks to keep us on track. We need day planners to record our appointments and meetings and shopping lists. We need itineraries and emails to our computers or blackberry's to know when our next flight is leaving and confirmation numbers for hotel and rental car reservations, bill payments, and online purchases. We need Google Desktop to manage our computers and record our web searches.... The list goes on and on.

Formatting and structure. We fit our lives into the structured template that we choose and create--well, at least if we're lucky. Our employers and our families always try to impose their formatting and structure on us as well. At least for my purposes today, I have my blog looking the way I want it to, so now I can get back to the business of blogging.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Ray said...

Wow. It really is Matt Urdan my former Sunday school teacher. How are ya doing, Mr. Urdan? :)

January 31, 2006 10:11 AM
Tabetha said...

Hey, you commented to my photo blog and asked about dating entries into the future... If you go to edit your posts and below the entry, there is a link that says 'Post and Comment Options'... click on it and it allows you to modify the entry date. I made it in the future so it would constantly stay at the top. Good Luck!

February 03, 2006 10:18 PM

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting on this post! I appreciate my readers very much and value their feedback. Please leave your email address and URL so I can respond to you personally. Thanks and have an awesome day!

 
ss_blog_claim=ffdbcb688282b1bf14639c34170ec1fe