Apache Junction Desert Beauty

A Guest Post by LunaStone:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Hi! My name is Luna. Michiganrafter asked me to do a guest post about where I live, Apache Junction, AZ (about 40 minutes East of Phoenix). Everyone knows it’s hot here (our seasons being Spring, Summer, Hell, Fall), so I’m going to skip all that and talk about the beautiful scenery. When the idea first came up about moving here, all I could envision was Barstow, CA where I was born… a barren place, nothing but scrub brush and ugly. Arizona is nothing like that. There are beautiful wild flowers, native trees and (of course) cacti. Most recognizable, the Saguaro, pronounced Sa War O (war pronounced like car). A little Saguaro tidbit, they don’t get their first “branch” until they are at least 80 years old. Below is a Saguaro at sunset on one of our rare cloudy days.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We don’t do a lot of outdoor activities as my husband is a creature of comfort, but we do go on a lot of drives up into the mountains, high desert and to the Salt River Canyon. I think people would be surprised at the many different landscapes here, all within an hour drive in any direction from our home.

To the south we have open desert. To the North and East we have mountains and to the west is the high desert. It’s called the high desert because of it’s altitude. The Sonoran desert is absolutely beautiful. Here are a few photos I’ve taken along the way.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The open desert across the street, looking southeast at the rising moon.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
One of our amazing sunsets.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Salt River Canyon

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The famous Superstition Mountains with snow. To get to the base of this mountain, it’s a five-minute drive. I get to see this beautiful work of nature every time I step outside my door.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
An example of some of the beautiful flowers that thrive here.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And another.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And finally, one last look at The Superstitions.



Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Leesa said...

Beautiful photos!

June 06, 2006 11:52 AM
Anonymous said...

Hey via your landlord ... wingedemotion :) Have a great day !!!!

June 06, 2006 12:02 PM
Anonymous said...

I've only been to Arizona once, and even then it was just to change planes at the Phoenix airport. What I saw from the plane was beautiful though :)

I've always wanted to do one of Southwest Airlines $99 specials and just go to another city for a weekend to explore. Phoenix is pretty high on my list of cities to explore. I hope I have time to get out of the city and see some scenery like the photos you've posted.

June 06, 2006 12:22 PM
Michele said...

I like the pics.

June 06, 2006 8:36 PM

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting on this post! I appreciate my readers very much and value their feedback. Please leave your email address and URL so I can respond to you personally. Thanks and have an awesome day!

 
ss_blog_claim=ffdbcb688282b1bf14639c34170ec1fe