Flu Shot Blues

Hey all!

Does anybody remember my bout with the flu last spring? No? Well, you can check it out HERE if you want to. That nasty bugger had the best of me for over two months. I couldn't shake it.

So today, I invested $25 in my health and got a Flu Shot. There are no guarantees the shot will protect me from the flu, but at least now I know I'm not allergic to the vaccine, since it's 25 minutes after the shot was administered and I don't have hives. Hooray!

They gave me a really interesting info sheet when I got the flu shot. Here are the highlights:

Influenza is a very contagious disease. It is caused by the influenza virus which spreads from infected persons to the nose or throat of others. Other illnesses can have the same symptoms and are often mistaken for influenza. Anyone can get influenza. for most people, it lasts only a few days. It can cause fever, cough, sore throat, headache, chills, muscle aches, fatigue.

Some people get much sicker. (Yeah, like me.) Influenza can lead to pneumonia and can be dangerous for people with heart or breathing conditions. It can cause high fever and seizures in children. Influenza kills about 36,000 people a year in the United States, mostly among the elderly.

Don't like gambling with your health or those of your loved ones? I recommend the flu shot. I'll keep you posted as to my personal efficacy throughout the flu season.

Thanks for reading.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back among the blogging.

I went for years with no flu and then got it one year. The medication the dr. gave me made it much worse. I haven't had flu for the ten years I've gotten the shot so hopefully you will have the same record.

October 12, 2006 8:20 PM
Michele said...

I've never got a flu shot
in my life.I don't get colds
anymore.I attribute it to
my love for wine,you know the alcohol kills the germs.LOL

October 13, 2006 12:46 PM
AubreyJ......... said...

I've never had one...
Maybe that's why I always catch that sucker every other year......
Good to see you back!!!
AubreyJ.........

October 17, 2006 10:25 PM
BlondeBrony said...

I was talking to a friend about the flu shot. I'm too scared to get it. I think I would be one of those people who gets really sick.

October 18, 2006 6:32 PM
Meira{FB} said...

My shot didn't hurt at all like last years did!

No flu for you!

October 25, 2006 12:55 AM
Josh Leo said...

I don't know if I have ever gotten the flu, and I know that I have never gotten a Flu shot. I guess it is just a matter of time beofre i catch it, What I am surprised is how many people die from the flue every year!

I know you miss northwest michigan, well maybe this will help in some way, my documentation of all things West Michigan: www.wanderingwestmichigan.com

December 08, 2006 12:32 PM
keepondancing said...

Great [GREAT!!] looking blog. Thanx for that bearish-xmas mail, laughed my ass off!

Ard Luyten

December 26, 2006 7:41 AM
Anonymous said...

Hey you! Belated Happy New Year 2007! And where the hell did you go? Did the flu shot get the better part of you after all? You cannot scare us like that!
I hope the year 2007 will be filled with luck and love for you. And maybe you will find the time to pick up this blog again.
All the best!

January 05, 2007 8:42 AM

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting on this post! I appreciate my readers very much and value their feedback. Please leave your email address and URL so I can respond to you personally. Thanks and have an awesome day!

 
ss_blog_claim=ffdbcb688282b1bf14639c34170ec1fe