Happy Thanksgiving!

Photobucket


Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day, is a traditional North American holiday, which is a form of harvest festival. The date and whereabouts of the first Thanksgiving celebration is a topic of modest contention, though the earliest attested Thanksgiving celebration was on September 8, 1565 in what is now Saint Augustine, Florida. Despite scholarly research to the contrary, the traditional "first Thanksgiving" is venerated as having occurred at the site of Plymouth Plantation, in 1621.

Today, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday of October in Canada and on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States. Thanksgiving dinner is done in the evening, usually as a gathering of friends and/or family. That's where I'll be, and if you're in the United States, I'm sure that's where you'll be too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks for reading.

Technorati Tags:
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

6 comments:

Barb said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! -Gandalf, Grayson and Mom Barb

November 27, 2008 7:38 AM
capybara said...

Happy thanksgiving to you! Can I come to lunch, that spread looks Yummy!

November 27, 2008 11:26 AM
bluecrystaldude said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you :)

Bluecrystaldude

November 27, 2008 11:54 AM
Blazin said...

I just wish Beef was as cheap as Turkey. Please make Sirloin .59 cents a pound!

November 28, 2008 12:12 AM
S. A. Hart said...

Happy Thanksgiving! You might enjoy my post on the topic as it looks Norman Rockwell's influence on how we view the celebration.

I'm glad you brought out the information about the first Thanksgiving in the US, which was celebrated by 600+ Huguenots on September 5th 1565 when they and Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles arrived in Florida. It seems the primary difference is he ordered a religious "Mass of Thanksgiving" to be said, whereas in Plymouth they actually had a feast. For anyone interested, there is an well-written and accessible historical text by Francis Parkman @ http://tinyurl.com/5l348u that covers this piece of American history.

November 28, 2008 2:07 AM
Matthew S. Urdan said...

Thank you Gandalf, Grayson and Mom Barb! I appreciate you stopping by and sharing the holiday with us!

Capy--Yep, you can come to lunch. Anytime.

Bluecrystaldude--thank you very much, and to you.

Blazin...I'll see what I can do about the price of beef, but I'm thankful that gas is now 1.59/gallon!

S.A.--Thanks, I'll check it out. I haven't been online much over the holiday weekend as my computer access is limited to public libraries, but I'll catch up to it eventually.

November 29, 2008 10:09 AM

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting on this post! I appreciate my readers very much and value their feedback. Please leave your email address and URL so I can respond to you personally. Thanks and have an awesome day!

 
ss_blog_claim=ffdbcb688282b1bf14639c34170ec1fe