Personal Movie Trivia Meme

Photobucket


Just like a personal pan pizza, but not quite as filling, I was just tagged with the Personal Movie Trivia Meme by The Fearless Blog.

The rules are simple:
1) Cut and paste the following questions.
2) Answer the questions.
3) Tag everyone--so everyone reading this post, consider yourself tagged! That means you too, Ken. Henson, feel free to substitute this tag with the "Top 10 Favorite Animated Movie Tag". (If anyone else wants to substitute this tag with the "Top 10 Favorite Animated Movie Tag", just post a list of your Top 10 Favorite Animated Movies AND a reason why it's on your list.

And NOW, with no further ado....

1) List one movie that made you laugh:
A) There's Something About Mary. I couldn't stop laughing. By the end of the movie I think I broke a rib.

2) List one movie that made you cry:
A) Titanic. Okay, so I'm a hopeless romantic. Or maybe I'm just in touch with my feminine side and am MAN enough to admit it. But I saw Titanic 11 times in the theater and cried like a baby the first 6 times. Tears poured down, but I managed to contain the sobbing so nobody else heard my crying. (If there's enough response to this comment, maybe I'll make a post and reveal the entire story. No promises though.)

3) Name one movie you loved when you were a child:
A) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I always wanted to win one of those golden tickets.

4) List one movie you've seen more than once:
A) Other than the aforementioned Titanic? Kill Bill Vols. 1 & 2. By far, the Kill Bills are the movie(s) I've seen more than any other. Probably 10 dozen times if you count all the times I just kept hitting play on my DVD player after I fell asleep watching them at 2 in the morning, waking up again, and pressing play. I can quote both those movies almost word for word. They were so innovative, so poetic--even in their violence, extremely well-written, and well-acted. A lot of our television advertising, movie previews, and live professional sporting events all have music from the Kill Bill soundtracks. And Kill Bill was even parodied a bit in Shrek III.

5) One movie you loved, but were embarrassed to admit it:
A) Other than the aforementioned Titanic? Actually, I'm not embarrassed to admit I loved Titanic. I'm just a bit embarrassed to admit I cried during Titanic. Six Times! But I'm man enough to admit it, remember that Roxy. Anyway, I suppose I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I loved Two of a Kind. No, John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John did not strike lightning twice in this really horrible movie. But I loved it anyway because I love Olivia Newton-John, Scatman Crothers, Charles Durning, Beatrice Straight and Gene Hackman. I mean really, with a cast like that, could the movie really be bad? YEP! But it had an awesome soundtrack, two truly good scenes, and it was a nice, fun escape movie. Now, notice I didn't mention Xanadu!

6) One movie you hated:
A) Romance and Cigarettes. Kate Winslet is probably my favorite actress. She's amazingly versatile, brilliant in everything she does, and she lights up all screens, especially when she's playing a bit of a villianess, as she did brilliantly in Quills. But this movie was just so awful I actually walked out halfway through, and I think I've only done that 3 times in my life. And with the other two it wasn't the movie's fault--one time my mother was sick, the second time was after a friend's medical emergency.

7) List one movie that scared you:
A) Aliens. Long story. Short answer. Ask Ken Armstrong at Ken's Writing Stuff.

8) List one movie that bored you:
A) How 'bout two? Out of Africa and The English Patient. Can you say: OVER-RATED?

9) List one movie that made you happy:
A) Muriel's Wedding, although this answer will probably be quickly replaced by Mamma Mia! when it comes out July 18th. Honestly, how can any movie that revolves around ABBA music NOT make you happy?

10) List one movie that made you miserable:
A) Other than the aforementioned Titanic? Probably I'd have to say Sweeney Todd. Johnny Depp was great. Helena Bonham Carter was great. The whole cast was great. But uplifting material, this was not. And even though there were moments when the dark side of me came out and I chuckled, this was just a sad tale, and all of the characters met tragic ends. Leaving the theater we just weren't exactly feeling uplifted, you know?

11) List one movie you thought would be great, but it wasn’t:
A) Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End. I thought it was the worst of the three. I was hoping for the best, convinced it would redeem Dead Man's Chest. But it didn't. Honorable Mention: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. To this day, I can't watch the Pod Race without falling asleep....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Jar Jar Binks remains the worst character ever invented for a motion picture.

12) List one movie you weren't brave enough to see:
A) I'll name two: 9/11 and World Trade Center. I want to see these movies, but nowhere near enough time has passed.

13) List one movie character you've fallen in love with:
A) Rose Dewitt Bukater from Titanic. I swear, if Rose were real, I'd follow her to the ends of the earth in the hopes of marrying her. This character is my archetype love interest: Flaming red hair, intelligent, sassy, independent, adventurous, my equal and match.

That's all folks! Once again, everyone is tagged!

Thanks for reading.

Technorati Tags: , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

great blog! i was directed to your site via sheila's black tennis pros blog and the award you shared with her. can't believe we're both huge fans of titanic! man that really is my favorite movie and i've seen it dozens of times.

i'm still new to blogging and appreciate visiting established blogs for inspiration and creativity. thanks for providing that.

June 26, 2008 9:15 AM
Anonymous said...

I am so with you on The English Patient! And the movie that I loved that I'm embarrassed about is The Bodyguard. I'll try to post this one on my blog in the next week or so!

Roxy

June 26, 2008 9:19 AM
Anonymous said...

Here for a quick vote in your Thursday morning Battle of the Blogs...good luck!

Roxy

June 26, 2008 10:01 AM
BillyWarhol said...

Yeah Aliens skeered da Poop outta me too! Ironically I saw Sigourney Weaver last night on TV's Craig Ferguson*

Normally I'm not a Fan of hokey Sci-Fi crap but that Movie Rocked + was Friggin' Scary*

Yeah English Patient could have been Great - it was Beautifully Shot but a Pure Snorefest*

I was disappointed in Kill Bill - I'm a Huge Fan of Quentin Tarantino Pulp Fiction + it Sucked*

Recently No Country for Old Men + There Will be Blood + Michael Clayton + Untraceable were All awesome*

In closing I have to give Props to Philip Seymour Hoffman - I wanna see everything he is in - The Savages + Before the Devil Knows yer Dead + Charlie Wildson's War + he was Brilliant in Capote*

;))

June 26, 2008 1:20 PM
Ken Armstrong said...

I *had* to do this one man!! Thanks for bringing it to the fore.

When I went too see Titanic with my lovely, when Leo said 'hold your breath', she did. It was funny.

Check mine out when you get a mo, eh?

June 26, 2008 5:26 PM
Mariuca said...

Hi Matt, I watched Titanic 3 times and it was the only movie I've ever watched more than once! Great choice! ;)

June 27, 2008 12:43 AM
Miss G said...

Cool!! I love tags (^^,)

June 27, 2008 2:02 AM
Henson Ray said...

Now this is one tag I can actually respond to, because I don't have to show "favorites." Yes, I will take you up on your challenge, Mr. Matt, and I will actually respond to one of these "tags" with all the diginity and respect they deserve...or something like that.

Henson

P.S. What a big mush you are!! heh, heh

June 27, 2008 7:02 AM
Matthew S. Urdan said...

All...I'm catching up on my comment replies. This is in response to the comment you left on Personal Movie Trivia Meme.

Jnez--thank you so much for the kind words! Next time you stop by could you leave a link to your blog so I can view your site as well? Sheila is one of my best blogging friends. She's truly amazing.

So, you can't believe we're both huge fans of Titanic, eh? Think of it this way...A lot of somebody's had to see the movie a lot of times for it to generate $600 million at the North American Box Office! If there were any movie that two people who don't know each other have in common, it's probably going to be Titanic!

Yours is one of the best comments I've ever had. It's an honor that you consider my blog inspiring and creative. If I can help you in anyway, please don't hesitate to ask.

Roxy--THANK YOU! I can't believe how many Oscars The English Patient won. I remember watching that Oscars Award Show and groaning louder and louder with every new statuette awarded to that film.

Hmmm, The Bodyguard. Now I admit a lot of things that often come back to bite me, but even if I liked The Bodyguard, which I don't, I'd never admit that. Besides, Whitney Houston's cover of Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You is just as overrated as The English Patient. Dolly Parton's original, from the soundtrack to The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas is SOOOOO much better than Whitney's slick cover version it's not even funny.

Billy--So how is Sigourney Weaver holding up these days. Last I saw her was in the 911 movie For the Guys. Yep, Aliens is scary. It's taken about a dozen viewings, but I can now watch the movie without squirming in my seat and shitting in my pants. Talk about the concept of facing your fears, eh?

I was disappointed with Untraceable--although I really enjoyed the ending where Diane Lane swung herself to freedom. I agree Philip Seymour Hoffman is amazing--one of my favorite roles for him was in The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Thanks for the detailed comment!

Ken--yeah that would be funny....Holding your breath for the "suction" when you're watching it go down safely from a dry seat in a movie theater. If it weren't such a dramatic moment in the movie, I would have laughed out loud seeing my honey do something like that.

I was there yesterday checking out your post. Thanks for honoring the tag--I was hoping you'd be interested in playing along considering our former discussions.

Mariuca--thank you! You know, if it wasn't so damn popular, and if Celine Dion only hadn't almost made a parody of the movie with her heart-thumping performances of the Oscar winning theme song, I think Titanic would have given Kate Winslet the Oscar Win she so deserved. Really, Kate has been incredible in every role she's ever played, but I don't think any role Kate played was as rounded as Rose Dewitt Bukater. I thought it was far better than Angelina Jolie in Girl Interrupted and Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby or even Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs. I'm not a huge Leonardo fan, but like everyone said at the time, he should have been nominated as well. Phenomenal cast and every other Oscar awarded that year except for the shutout in the acting category--just like The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

Great movie, well-deserving of the love of movie-goers.

Gratcia and Henson--looking forward to your posts.

Cheers!

June 27, 2008 8:09 PM
hope said...

Matt, "Entertainment Weekly" just came out with an issue of "New Classics" from the last 25 years: it includes movies, t.v., books and music. In reverse order here are their Top Ten movies.

10. Moulin Rouge
9. Die Hard
8. Silence of the Lambs
7. Hannah & Her Sisters
6. Saving Private Ryan
5. Toy Story
4. Blue Velvet
3. Titanic
2. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
1. Pulp Fiction

June 28, 2008 11:15 AM
Anonymous said...

Hey!!

Just a quick fly-by visit after i'd seen that you'd accepted the battle of the blogs thang - i'm a bit of a novice so i don't anticipate any great shakes :'(

I'll unashamedly steal your movie meme for a posting over the next ten days or so

Stay well, take care and please accept some positive vibes from the other sides of the pond ;@)

Damiel

July 01, 2008 5:06 PM
Anonymous said...

1) List one movie that made you laugh:

Borat and lair lair

2) List one movie that made you cry:

A walk to remember and Bridge to Terabithia

3) Name one movie you loved when you were a child:

Home Alone series

4) List one movie you've seen more than once:

Little manhatten

5) One movie you loved, but were embarrassed to admit it:

Brokeback mountain

6) One movie you hated:

Ghost rider

7) List one movie that scared you:

i don't watch horror movies...cause i'm already scared :)

8) List one movie that bored you:

English patient and Meet joe black

10) List one movie that made you miserable:

bridge to terabithia

11) List one movie you thought would be great, but it wasn’t:

Ocean 13

12) List one movie you weren't brave enough to see:

may be all the horror movies

13) List one movie character you've fallen in love with:

Jessie (anna sophia robb)and rosemary telesco (charlie ray)

July 04, 2008 11:47 AM

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting on this post! I appreciate my readers very much and value their feedback. Please leave your email address and URL so I can respond to you personally. Thanks and have an awesome day!

 
ss_blog_claim=ffdbcb688282b1bf14639c34170ec1fe